Feb/March/April 2019 CI surgery and/or activation

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

For weeks when I use the Sonnet mainly I just charge the Rondo2 once and use it at home until the charge runs out. It lasts the entire week without needing to be recharged. 

As an aside, I find the Sonnet to be lighter than the Rondo2 these days so I've been wearing the Sonnet a lot these days. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

It is hard to beat the lightness of just a coil on our head (BTE processor), but it is nice to have nothing on our ears (Rondo).

On 3/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

How long will a fully charged Rondo 2 keep enough of its charge so we can use it if it is removed from the charger but not turned on?

Hi @Mary Beth

I will ask our experts here at HQ and will get back to you asap :)

Best, 

Verena 

Hi all,

I was given four versions of the same map on 3/15, each being progressively louder.  The main problem I'm having is distortion.  Given a sound,  e.g., TV or radio.  Sound reverberates, like the main sound is accompanied by a background sound, regardless of volume.  The main sound comes through louder but the background sound distorts.  I don't see my audi until 4/3 and she doesn't entertain questions in the interim.  My brain does adjust to this somewhat after periods of listening but it is recurring.  Is this policy of in- office-only audi support common at other clinics?  And in the same context,  what if one wants to come in for other than infrequent scheduled visits?

Thanks,

C T Lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

In the beginning there is a wide range of what is considered normal experiences.  It takes our brain and auditory system time to adjust and learn.  I encourage you to work on aural rehab activities every day.  It really helped me a lot.  (There are many ideas in our REHAB topic.)

Every audiologist and CI center handles things differently.  Finding an audiologist who is a great match for you is important.

My journey would have been very different without the awesome skills and support of my CI audiologist and CI team.

At my CI center (NYEE) I can schedule additional appointments when needed.  All of the appts are billed individually and not lumped into the surgery price.   

On 3/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

How long will a fully charged Rondo 2 keep enough of its charge so we can use it if it is removed from the charger but not turned on?

Hi @Mary Beth

it's hard to give exact numbers, because it depends on how long you are planning to use the RONDO 2 for. In general our experts here at HQ recommend that if a RONDO 2 is fully charged and not being used for a while it should at least be recharged every 6 months. With this measure it is assured that the performance of the battery is not negatively affected.

Hope that helps! 

Best, 

Verena 

@Mary Beth  Thank you, as always ,  I was told earlier by an Audiologist at this clinic something similar to  "we get no reimbursement for these sessions, and this is what we do all day long"  so I expect my seven sessions will be all they'd prefer to do, with maybe an annual one.  But I shall ask them. 

I know it it is very early for me and will use your input as to aural rehab.  Sadly, I've had very little audi assistance other than face to face from my clinic.  But my surgeon was excellent and that's huge.

C T Lex

• HearPeers Heroes

@C T lex

The insurance reimbursement varies so much for:one plan to another.  It is crazy.

Have you asked Med-El to put you in touch with the CEM (Consumer Engagement Manager) for your region.   Your CEM can be a great source of support and information.  CEMs also plan face to face events in our regions.

Ask questions here.  We are a friendly group.

I am officially scheduled for my second implant in June. 

I am a little nervous but I know with Gods help I will be fine. 

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on their second CI. 

@Percy.  I had my second implant in 2018 it was the best decision I ever made.Back to rehab

Good Luck and keep us posted 

• HearPeers Heroes

I have been sent 4 audiology appointments! Nice to know ahead of time. The schedule is this:

surgery on 12th April

activation on 1st May (nearly 3 weeks post surgery)

Further 3 audiology sessions, weekly from activation.

Now it's getting very exciting!!!

• Like 4

@Kylie Yes it is ,now you can plan you life .Good luck with your appointments and keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

You have been waiting a long time @Kylie and now it is almost here!  YAY!

• HearPeers Heroes
38 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie

It is almost April 12th!  How are you doing?

SO excited. BRING IT ON!!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kylie said:

SO excited. BRING IT ON!!!

Cool, just one day more! All the best.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

I will be thinking of you!  You got this!  Let us know how things go when you can.

Good luck Kylie!

Today was activation day for me. Not what I had hoped for. When the audi turned on the CI all I could hear was high pitch echoing  noise.  She said that was fine and set 4 programs, each with more volume and told me to wait two days and go to program 2, then another 2 days for program 3 etc. But there was no attempt to fine tune and I told her it didn’t help me understand speech one iota, just loud noise. Very discouraging. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

My right side started out with static and beeps.  My left side started out with quiet marimba.

It is only your starting point.  Hang in there.

• HearPeers Heroes

@JohnL

Don't worry. Most of us don't hear speech at switch on. I certainly didn't. I was just relieved that all my electrodes were working. 

Now is the time for baby steps. Just take in all the sounds and do some aural rehab. Get out and immerse yourself in sound. Things will definitely improve in time. Please keep us posted about your progtezz.w

• HearPeers Heroes

Yay @Kylie

You will be a CIBorg in hours! All the best! Please let us know how you are doing when you're up to it. 

Remember a button down shirt is best for surgery day as well as shoes that are easy to put on. The nurse was amazed at how quickly I was able to dress myself! She thought I'd need help. Of course everyone's different. 

All the best!