August, September & October 2018 activation dates

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Anyone want to share their activation dates?

Several HPs members will be activated soon.

Wishing you all the best!

• HearPeers Heroes

I have my second surgery on October 12 and activation will be on November 1.

@Mary Beth As Mickey mouse would say Say cheers I'll have ears August 30th for my  activation!! It has been a long few weeks waiting  for activation. My tinnitus is driving  me crazy without being able to  mask it with noise from old hearing aid. I got my better ear implanted so Ive veen totally  deaf since surgery.   

• HearPeers Heroes

@sassychele02

Hang in there.  It’s almost August 30th!

And don’t be worried if after activation, when you remove your processor before bed, you hear loud tinnitus.  Different and loud.  That happened to me but resolved itself in time. 

• Like 1

Aww... I'm not forgotten on that list, am I?  ?   ?   jk...  just not as chatty as you guys, and haven't even gotten 'started' yet (just working on wrapping up all my loose ends with various tinkerings, so I can focus/relax!).  Congrats, to those who have (and will soon!).   In between "gahhhh!" and "wheeee!" stressful last week/this weekend since my store always gets slammed by the back-to-school crowds, very good 'timing' on my part to choose to help be there for that (especially since it's getting so frustrating noticing I'm hearing even less), then I am off for my vacation week respite and surgery the 29th!  Activation is September 12!  (Awfully similar timing to Jewel!)

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

October 1 @Lise-marie Fourie  has her CI activated.

October 2 @Nikki has her second CI surgery.

October 4 @Marion nancy and @Margo have their first CI surgeries.

October 10 @Daniel the Stranger has his second CI surgery.

October 12 @Mary Featherston has her second CI surgery.

October 30 @Margo has her first CI activated

October 31 @Daniel the Stranger has his second CI activated.

November 01 @Mary Featherston has her second CI activated.

It is going to be a fun time on Hear Peers!  Wishing everyone of you, and anyone else I may have missed accidentally, the very best!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I will be waiting to hear from @DarlaHS - there are times when I wish I'd gone bilateral all at once - my surgeon offered it, my insurance approved it ,but I wimped out.  ?

I hope to be on that list soon. I will let you know about the end of September.

• Like 2

@Mary Featherston to be honest, I have been a bad boy, I have not done much rehab, I will write a post about this in my thread sometime this week. What about you?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger hm, mostly good.  I don't have the stability that a lot of people achieve at three months, but my word comprehension is way up.  I can hear, which is the main thing! 

7 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

@Daniel the Stranger hm, mostly good.  I don't have the stability that a lot of people achieve at three months, but my word comprehension is way up.  I can hear, which is the main thing! 

@Mary Featherston I have learnt that stability is a very subjective term in regards to each person's progress with a CI. In my case I call stability when there is not a lot of new sounds or maybe when nothing is overwhelming anymore like in the beginning.

But If you ask me, I'm a long way to go where I want to be. As I have been lazy, I don't know if my speech comprehension has improved a lot or not but I can say that I feel that I can communicate better with people (not a lot so I don't want to misguide people) but still some improvement. I also can talk on the phone in Spanish which is fantastic being only 3 months since Activation.

Like you, I don't complain, I'm much better than I was before with 2 HAs.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Daniel the Stranger - my audiologist retested my word comprehension at three months and compared it to what I got on the same test prior to receiving my implant. 

February:  19%

August:  89%

So, yes, I hear an echo and some tinniness yet, but am not complaining!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Daniel the Stranger said:

@Mary Featherston I have learnt that stability is a very subjective term in regards to each person's progress with a CI. In my case I call stability when there is not a lot of new sounds or maybe when nothing is overwhelming anymore like in the beginning.

But If you ask me, I'm a long way to go where I want to be. As I have been lazy, I don't know if my speech comprehension has improved a lot or not but I can say that I feel that I can communicate better with people (not a lot so I don't want to misguide people) but still some improvement. I also can talk on the phone in Spanish which is fantastic being only 3 months since Activation.

Like you, I don't complain, I'm much better than I was before with 2 HAs.

You know.... that's one of the niggling things that's been in the back of my head.  Not outright anxiety or anything, no, (because I know I haven't even started yet!) but tentative uncertain mixed-up emotions.  Minus a few bad experiences, everyone seems to do so much better than before, and I know (and hope) I will too.  
Volume-wise, at the least.  Comprehension-wise?  Ehhhnn.  I worry what if it's not just my hearing that went down... what if it's me (I had to repeat someone three times with decent volume just to get that they said 'hunting', not 'honey'!).  Either from struggling more, or trying hard enough, or you know sometimes you just say 'screw it', getting 50% of a sentence, enough to keep context, but give up on catching everything, and what if it's just 'you' at that point?

Although... this is what I'm talking about - Mary, those numbers are kinda cool to know!  Thanks.  Eeeee... can't believe we're already here... my body had better behave itself with allergies annoying it the next couple days so they have no reason to delay!  Lol.  And please, not too many side effects either.  Oh my gosh... how in the world did you guys keep from sneezing at anything or needing to blow your nose?   ?   ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

Hang in there.  Feeling anxious is very common.  It’s a big day indeed.

I was worried about the sneezing ban so I looked up safe ways to avoid sneezing.  Smile.  I found a few methods that worked for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

My understanding of when we reach STABLE after activation is when we no longer need increasing current to hear at the right level.  We may still need tweaks to our MAPs for improved phoneme discrimination etc.  Time is a great factor for improved sound quality.

Everyone arrives at their favorite MAP at a different time.  I found it helpful to take notes on what was an issue and talk with my audiologist at my appts.  I returned for extra MAPping appts and with the expertise of my audiologist and small tweaks to my MAPs, we arrived at my favorite MAP.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C. - word comprehension is something that CIs are designed to improve.  Even now when the sounds are not fully integrated, my comprehension is far, far better than it was.  I can understand song lyrics for the first time in fifteen years.  People I talk to frequently have noticed that I can understand better.

It's all upside from here.  ?

• HearPeers Heroes
On 8/26/2018 at 7:14 PM, Mary Beth said:

It is an exciting time on HearPeers!  Please add on to the list.

August 29 @Emily C. has her first CI surgery!  Wishing you the best!  (Definitely not forgotten, smile)

August 31 @DarlaHS has bilateral activation.  This is especially exciting as not many adults receive simultaneous bilateral implants so we will learn a lot from your journey!

September 12 @Emily C. has her first CI activated.

September 18 @sassychele02 has her first activation!  Soon the fun begins!

September 20 @Jewel has her CI activated.

September 21 @Jane has her second CI activated.

It is going to be a fun time on Hear Peers!  Wishing everyone of you, and anyone else I may have missed accidentally, the very best!

Updated!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

Sure hope your CI surgery went wonderfully.  When you are feeling up to it, let us know how you are doing.

• HearPeers Heroes
On 8/26/2018 at 7:14 PM, Mary Beth said:

It is an exciting time on HearPeers!  Please add on to the list.

August 29 @Emily C. has her first CI surgery!  Wishing you the best!  (Definitely not forgotten, smile)

August 31 @DarlaHS has bilateral activation.  This is especially exciting as not many adults receive simultaneous bilateral implants so we will learn a lot from your journey!

September 12 @Emily C. has her first CI activated.

September 18 @sassychele02 has her first activation!  Soon the fun begins!

September 20 @Jewel has her CI activated.

September 21 @Jane has her second CI activated.

October 2 @Nikki has her second CI surgery.

Added @Nikki 

22 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Emily C.

Sure hope your CI surgery went wonderfully.  When you are feeling up to it, let us know how you are doing.

Thank you!  That was a long day!  ;D

I'm almost glad I wasn't first on the morning schedule... able to wake up with plenty of time even though we still had to get there a couple hours prior, and get checked in and me all prepped and felt so weird being decked out for surgery again, and glad both my parents there since was hard to hear everyone, and feeling awkwardly quiet and trying to be friendly and think good thoughts, even if not outwardly 'bouncy'.  Everyone was great, and was getting so many text message from everyone.  :).  Waiting forever for the room to open up though, and it's a university/teaching hospital, so lots of 'resident doctors'/students coming and going taking care of things for my doctor!  Finally went in mid-afternoon, was 'minutes' for me, ha, but poor parents just eating and reading for quite a few hours... by the time I woke up in recovery, then they took me to my room, I saw it was almost 10!

Some of you were right, you typical don't feel half bad after!  My doctor said he was very 'pleased' with it, my mouth tasted like crap for some hours thanks to dryness/anesthesia, and just low-key pain, mostly on my cramped neck and outer ear.  Made it hard to sleep.  Once they took the tight bandage off, though, all better, and only got mild nighttime nausea once.  Sent me home early this morning, and feeling fine!  Interesting single, long c-shaped cut all along the back of my ear that he did everything through, with self-absorbing stitches... that's it!  Even my often-sniffly nose is behaving itself.