Feb/March/April 2019 CI surgery and/or activation

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes
53 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Who is the CAM for your region?

Kirsten referred to her as Sue, but I didn't get her last name.  Apparently she covers the Midwest.

I'm scheduled for my 2nd cI surgery on Tuesday March 19. Hope all goes as well as the first one which was in August of 2017. I'll be activated on April 3.

Anita C.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Anita C. - best of luck with your surgery!  Let us know how it goes.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you the best @Anita C.!

Which processor did you choose?

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a surgery date!!!  12th April.  Most anticipated phone call of my life!

• Like 3

On 3/15/2019 at 10:08 PM, Mary Beth said:

Wishing you the best @Anita C.!

Which processor did you choose?

I have a Sonnet now but chose to go to the Rondo 2.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 6:17 PM, Mary Featherston said:

Hi @Anita C. - best of luck with your surgery!  Let us know how it goes.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted.

• HearPeers Heroes
18 hours ago, Kylie said:

I have a surgery date!!!  12th April.  Most anticipated phone call of my life!

Great news!  364 days after my first CI surgery.  🙂

We'll be waiting to hear from you!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2/13/2019 at 7:08 PM, Daniel the Stranger said:

I took a week off from both surgeries. It would be fantastic to have the surgery on a Friday so you have 2 days more of recovery. My first one was on Friday but my second one was on Wednesday. 

Lucky me my date is a Friday! So I'm hoping to be back at work on Wednesday. I don't like sitting around.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kylie said:

Lucky me my date is a Friday! So I'm hoping to be back at work on Wednesday. I don't like sitting around.

Fantastic, I wish you the best, hope your surgery goes smooth and painless like mine. Please keep us posted. You can PM anytime if you have questions.

1 hour ago, Monte said:

Hi @JohnL ! How did your surgery go?

@Monte

thanks for asking. It went well. Pain was tolerable, no balance issues and I can taste my wife’s great cooking!  Some tinnitus but it’s not too bad. However the surgeon “packed” my ears so that ear is completely blocked and I can’t tell whether he was able to save any residual hearing. Packing doesn’t come out until activation - another three weeks - some I’m anxious about that. And also impatient - I hate sitting around.

How are you doing? 

It just keeps getting better! My world has changed and I am very pleased with my results!

• Like 2

Monte, that’s great news. I’m happy for you. I’m looking forward to the same great results  - fingers crossed!

Remind me, did you have any residual hearing after the surgery?  And if so, how long did it take for you to realize you had some?  That’s the one piece that’s still missing for me because if the “packing” in my ear canal. 

Hi,

so, i had switch on, on 12/02. That went well for the first week, but it was hard work due to the deep bass sounds which sounded as though they were coming out of the bottom of a very deep barrel. And the sound of the car tyres on the road was far too loud. I then had the first change to the mapping on the 19/03. This opened up a whole new range of very high pitched sounds. The deep bass noise from the car tyres disappeared. I'm now learning to hear speech again which is a slow process, but I'm starting to follow speech from the TV without looking at the subtitles. There's definite progress, but I'm still struggling a little with the balance issues. Although there's no vertigo or anything, I can't walk very fast at all, as when I do, everything suddenly feels like my head is swimming through treacle and quite unsettling. It doesn't give me confidence yet to go anywhere or walk any distance. Hopefully that feeling will pass, but it's now a month since my operation & I'm signed off work for 2 more weeks.

Just a small question regarding the charging of the Rondo 2 (might sound silly or daft), at night the lights from the charger & Rondo 2 are very bright. Is there any way to change the settings to "turn off" these lights? As it reached the point where I've had to put the charger in a different room overnight.

Thanks.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

The beginning of our journeys are all quite unique.  Aural rehab helped me a lot.  There is a lot of great info in our REHAB topic if you are interested.

I will tag some Rondo 2 users.  I think people have commented about charging Rondo 2 on nightstands.

@Jdashiell

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Mary Featherston

@Jewel

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andy

I like to sleep in pitch back rooms. When I'm charging my Rondo2 I put it on a table next to my bed but I turn the charger away from my bed so I don't notice the light at all. The light from the Rondo2 is also positioned away from me. I haven't had a problem with the lights but I do have my CPAP machine next to it so maybe it is blocking some of the light? So maybe you might want to put something beside the charger which blocks the light so it doesn't bother you. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Andy  my husband has commented that since I got CIs our bedroom looks like a city skyline at night.  I have Sonnets and Rondo2s.  The Rondo2s sit on a separate table about six or seven feet from the bed, and the Sonnets are on my nightstand.  I find that the Sonnets actually create more of what we might call indoor light pollution in that the processors are usually in the dry box, which blinks blue, and the batteries are in the chargers, which glow white.  I cover the battery chargers with a microfiber cloth that I bought at our company store at work and intended to use to clean my lenses on my glasses, but the bright white light made me not worry about the glasses.  I also cover the dry box with a black bandana.  The Rondos are rather restrained in comparison - all that we can see from the bed, with the lights out, are the amber lights while they're actively charging.  The green lights on the side aren't as bright and just don't bother me.

I used to be like @Jewel and wanted no light in the room at all, but the Rondos are far enough away that they don't bother me, but you probably could toss a bandana over them as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

When I use Sonnet rechargeable batteries, I set them up in another room to charge.

You may want to be careful with covering the dry kit because it relies on air flow through those small holes on top I believe. Just a thought. ( @Mary Featherston)

We do end up with lots of things to plug in that glow.  Fortunately the glow from the two dry kits does not bother me.

Does anyone know if it is okay to leave the Rondo 2s on the charger if we are not using those processors for a couple of days or should they be charged and removed from the charger?  How long will they hold their charge if removed but not used?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth as far as I know they're designed to sit on the charger until used.  I don't use mine much if at all during the week, but come Saturday that's what I'm using.  I'm going to go out to the Arboretum later and may get the Sonnets for that but I dunno, maybe not.  I'll just be walking and there won't be crowds or a lot of background noise.  But I have no idea how long they'd stay charged if they weren't on the charger.  It's an interesting question.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

How long will a fully charged Rondo 2 keep enough of its charge so we can use it if it is removed from the charger but not turned on?

2dryer,2 battery chargers,Rondo chargers on my night stand plus my radio that is on playing music even though I can’t hear hear it it give off a beautiful red glow that blends in with the sky blue light of the 2 battery chargers, 2dryers  and the green light of Rondo it’s my norther lights in Pittsburgh.I am very fortunate that my wife is a deep sleeper and also likes some light in the bedroom music is calming .

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh oh, yes, I forgot to mention the two alarm clocks.  Also, we have a small and very dim nightlight for trips to the facilities at night.

WE use flashlight 🔦 as our facilities are still outside