March 2021 HearPeers GoogleMeet Chat

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday March 21

9:15 am New York time start time 

chat opens at 9:00 for socializing 

***NOTE:  The US will enter daylight savings time..  This will change the time difference for those in other time zones.

Google Meet with free live captioning

Looking forward to our March GoogleMeet chat.  

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just reply to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

Tagging those who have joined in recently.

@Kylie

@Joan

@tmscarlett10

@Megan L.

@Mary Featherston

@ats169

@Nikki

@Jewel

@Mary Beth

@Tracey_66

@Justin

@Valentin

@Mr-LJ

@Jared Charney

@Kirk S.

@Nischal Koirala

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@John R

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

A little history on our HearPeers GoogleMeet chats.

The first one, a test run, happened in May 2020 with 4 of us.  @Mary Beth. @Kylie  @Mary Featherston and @Jewel.

The second chat happened in June 2020 with 7 of us.

Since then we have met monthly (except for taking December off due to holidays) and range from 10-15 participants each month.  Usually a few first time participants every month.

So far 23 HearPeers members have participated!

In addition to the great information that is being shared from one member to another, it is wonderful to see real connections and friendships developing.

If you would like to join in, just reply to this post.  We are a friendly group!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

We use GoogleMeet for several reasons.  It does not have a time limit and it offers free automatic captions.

These public videos are captioned on YouTube.  Select the three dot menu at the top right to copy the link, open your YouTube app and paste.

GoogleMeet on computer

GoogleMeet on tablet

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks I'll be there! It will be lovely to start at 9pm for me, just a little more civilised LOL. Though I'd come anyway whatever the time - I do enjoy our chats so much.

• Like 4

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie It will be nice that Perth Australia time will be back to 9 pm!

You must’ve been so tired on Monday morning!  Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

I’ll be there!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

To date HearPeers members have joined in our GoogleMeet chats from:

Australia

Canada

Jamaica

Japan

Nepal

Spain & the Canary Islands

UK

USA

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope to be there. It will be 8 a.m. in Jamaica. Hopefully I don't oversleep this time. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I’ll be there!! Looking forward to seeing everyone 🥳

Looking forward to it!

Btw, @Mary Beth, since you mentioned history, was this last one the longest one, or have there been longer? 🥰

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

By far!

They typically last between 1.5-2 hours.  February’s chat was a marathon!  Full of great info but very long.

We will keep them shorter going forward so people can participate the entire time and not feel like they missed anything by leaving after 2 hours.  Smile.

It was just too good of a session to cut off.  So many people full of such helpful information.

• Like 2

Hi there!

I am mostly a lurker here, but I am a hearpeer. (NE USA)
Will GoogleMeet work on an Ipad?  I usually Zoom, anymeeting or skype. My computer has no camera.
Also, do you ever do this not on a Sunday?  I am generally playing catch-up on the weekends.

I would like to get more active on these forums :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Amy

Our HearPeers GoogleMeet is just a group of HP members with Med-El CIs who interact on the forum and join in the monthly video chat as schedules permit.  We welcome any HP member to join in anytime.

Our monthly GoogleMeet chats are always on a Sunday.

We are an international group so the time differences mean that for some it is 6 am, 7 am, 8 am, 9 am, afternoon, early evening and quite late at night (9 pm, 10 pm) as well.

Whenever you want to join a GoogleMeet chat, let us know and we will include you in that month’s invite email.

Would you like to share a bit about your CI journey?  

Sure! I will keep it brief, and if you want more details, I am happy to fill them in.

I am Single-Sided Deaf.  I lost all hearing in my right ear quite suddenly at the end September of 2017.

I struggled for a while with various treatments - Injections into my ear, steroids... nothing worked.

I wore CROS hearing aids for two years, but they didn't really help.  In fact, they kind of made things worse.
My ENT suggested I look into Cochlear Implantation, but it was not yet FDA approved. He had me trial BAHA.. not really better than CROS, and definitely not worth surgery for me. I bounced from surgeon to surgeon trying to find someone who could help me.  Oddly, it wasn't my insurance that was the issue.  The surgery was so new for SSD, that most hospitals wouldn't allow the surgeon to do it!  I was referred to Dr. Wackym at Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick NJ.  He got it done! I was implanted on September 21, 2019. I love my CI...was really a life changer!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Amy

Great!  We actually have several single sided deaf with CI members who routinely join our monthly GoogleMeet chats.

I am glad you found a surgeon who could get you implanted!

Are you using Sonnet 1, Rondo 2, Sonnet 2 or Rondo 3 processors?

If you are interested in joining in the March 21st GoogleMeet, send me your email address by selecting the menu at the top and then the envelope symbol.

I hope you stick around and post in the forum.  It’s a great group of people.

• Like 1

I will totally get involved in the forums!  The GoogleMeet chats are unfortunately inconvenient for me.  I do a lot of catch-up on the weekends.

I am currently wearing a Sonnet 2.  I have a Sonnet 1 as a backup.  I was looking at the SSD forum, and it seems I am a day late and a dollar short. :P  I am going to keep an eye on it though.  Is there a way to favorite a forum so I get an email whenever it has new messages?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Amy

Most of our interactions occur here on the forum.  It will be great to get to know you here.

Yes you can follow a topic by scrolling down to the bottom and selecting follow.

You can follow specific HP members by clicking on names and selecting follow.

I should be there too if work doesn't interfere thanks as always Mary Beth! & @AmyI would love to ask you some questions about your journey as I am also SSD but just activated 3 months ago, thanks!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Charney said:

I should be there too if work doesn't interfere thanks as always Mary Beth! & @AmyI would love to ask you some questions about your journey as I am also SSD but just activated 3 months ago, thanks!

Ask away Jared! Not sure if we need to make a new thread or not.

• Like 1

ok, I'll just ask this: right now I feel like I'm hearing more and more in CI but almost like an echo if that makes sense? I am curious if you had/have a similar experience and if you found over time that the echo or almost pause in sound becomes louder and clearer as you went on? thanks!