March 2021 HearPeers GoogleMeet Chat

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday March 21 (updated on March 10)

9:15 am New York time start time 

chat opens at 9:00 for socializing 

***NOTE:  The US will enter daylight savings time..  This will change the time difference for those in other time zones.

Google Meet with free live captioning

Looking forward to our March GoogleMeet chat.  

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just reply to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

The following members have expressed interest in receiving invites to our March 21 GoogleMeet.

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Kirk S.

@Joan

@ats169

@Megan L.

@Jewel

@tmscarlett10

@Jared Charney

@Dave in Pittsburgh

• HearPeers Heroes

Is anyone else interested in joining in our March 21 GoogleMeet?  First time chat members are always welcome.

Do any of the following people want to receive an invite for March 21st? (Checking in with members who have recently participated.)

@Tracey_66

@Mary Featherston

@Nikki

@Justin

@Valentin

@Mr-LJ

@Nischal Koirala

@John R

• HearPeers Heroes

Great I will add you all to the invite list

@Justin

@Mr-LJ

@Tracey_66

@Pringeo It will be great to have you join for the first time.  In a moment I will send you a HP private mail to get your email address for the invite.  Just check the menu at the top and select the envelope.  Also, would you like to introduce yourself here and share your CI journey so we get to know you a bit?  Which processor are you using?

Good morning. My name is Bill. I was implanted on Feb 12 in Tucson. Activation will happen TODAY😊 with a Rondo 3 on the right side and my Costco Resound Preza HA on the left. I've been using HA's since the early 90's and my hearing gradually got worse to the point that my lack of speech recognition was unacceptable. Couldn't comfortably (or uncomfortably) participate in group conversations. One on one interactions were tough as well, especially with my wife. 

This forum has already made my CI journey less stressful. I will report back in a day or two after the activation today.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Pringeo

Congratulations on your new CI and wishing you the best at activation today.  Keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Pringeo

Welcome to the group! 😁 Sending you good vibes for your activation Bill! Let us know how you do. I was bimodal up until December and then went bilateral. I was bimodal for 4 years and loved it!

• Like 2

So... I work at a very big company and there are mail groups and group chats (Slack channels) for all sorts of topics, including accessibility topics and hard of hearing folks. I've started to use these channels to seek out people with SSD and tell them about my experience with CI + SSD. Also to tell them that our company is really good about insurance coverage for CIs for SSD. This has been really fun and rewarding. So far I've found 2 people who are candidates (and lots of people that already have CIs!) and I've had ongoing conversations with them about CI as an option. One woman has now met with a MED-EL rep and a surgeon and is getting some CT scans lined up. I'm super excited for her! But I also worry a little, because I know what an emotional roller coaster the whole process can be. But I'm super honest about that part. I told Carol that she'll probably hate me at some point for gettting her started on all this! 

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience of being the instigator in someone pursuing CIs? Or of being on the other end of it? FWIW, mine was a "lonely journey", only after I was committed to getting a CI did I start engaging others in forums and such.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

I have interacted with people who then decided to pursue getting cochlear implants.  I share my experiences honestly and encourage them to connect with many CI users to hear many stories.

I understand your worry.  All we can do is share our experiences and support others on their own journeys.  None of us had a crystal ball regarding our outcomes with CIs.  At some point we all took a leap of faith.

I think it’s great that you are reaching out and supporting co-workers.  It will make their journeys much easier.

• Like 1

I've done the same with people I've met with SSD including a next door neighbor's child, I share my experience w/them & have encouraged them to have a dialogue w/an audiologist/surgeon about possibilities. What truly amazes me is how many people I've met since my sudden hearing loss who have SSD and don't even know that a CI is an option

1 hour ago, Jared Charney said:

What truly amazes me is how many people I've met since my sudden hearing loss who have SSD and don't even know that a CI is an option

This is so true! That’s why I feel compelled to “preach”!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth, I expect to be able to be there.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday March 21 (updated on March 11)

***NOTE:  The US will enter daylight savings time..  This will change the time difference for those in other time zones.

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just reply to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

The following members have expressed interest in receiving invites to our March 21 GoogleMeet.

@Mary Featherston

@Tracey_66

@Justin

@Mr-LJ

@Pringeo  First time

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Kirk S.

@Joan

@ats169

@Megan L.

@Jewel

@tmscarlett10

@Jared Charney

@Dave in Pittsburgh

Dear Mary Beth,

I would like to join the chat on March 21. What should I do?

Thank you very much

Javier

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Javier Díez

Welcome to HearPeers!

In a moment go to the top menu and select the envelope.  I will send you a private HP mail message to get your email address for the GoogleMeet March 21st meeting invite.

In the meantime, will you tell us your story here so we get to know you a bit?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday March 21 (updated on March 13)

@Javier Díez  (first time)

@Mary Featherston

@Tracey_66

@Justin

@Mr-LJ

@Pringeo  First time

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Kirk S.

@Joan

@ats169

@Megan L.

@Jewel

@tmscarlett10

@Jared Charney

@Dave in Pittsburgh

Dear Mary,

My "story" began when our fourth son was diagnosed with severe bilateral hearing loss just after birth, in 2009. We have to fight for his first implant and much more for the second one, due to the economic crisis in Spain. He had two Opus 2's and now he has two Sonnets.

As a researcher in artificial intelligence applied to medicine and health economics, I led a cost-effectiveness analysis that helped convince the Spanish authorities that all children suffering from severe bilateral hearing loss should receive two CIs. It was published at https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28776715/. We also did some research about artificial intelligence for programming CIs, as you can see at http://www.ia.uned.es/~fjdiez/biography.html. Then we created the Observatorio del Implante Coclear, which has been dormant for a while, but now we wish to reactivate it.

I have found this site just today and excited about the opportunity of learning from you.

Have a nice weekend

Javier

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Javier Díez

Thank you for sharing and I hope your son’s CI journey has been wonderful.

Thank you for the links.  I will explore them this week!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday March 21 (updated on March 15)

@Nikki

@Javier Díez  (first time)

@Mary Featherston

@Tracey_66

@Justin

@Mr-LJ

@Pringeo  First time

@Mary Beth

@Kylie

@Kirk S.

@Joan

@ats169