February HearPeers Chat on GoogleMeet

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday February 28

9:15 am New York time start time 

chat opens at 9:00 for socializing 

Google Meet with free live captioning

Looking forward to our February GoogleMeet chat.  

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just reply to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

Tagging those who have joined in recently.

@Kylie  

@Mr-LJ  

@Joan  

@Mary Featherston  

@Kirk S.  

@Mary Beth  

@Megan L.  

@Dave in Pittsburgh  

@Tracey_66  

@MallaRuth  

@Valentin  

@Jared Charney  

@tmscarlett10  

@Nischal Koirala  

@Nikki  

@Jewel 

@polyesternapkinstowaway 

•  
  • Like 3

thanks Mary Beth for putting it all together, this morning was even more informative than I could have imagined and it was really nice meeting everyone!

• HearPeers Heroes

See you all in February!!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

You are welcome.

It was a pleasure meeting you.  Please keep us posted on your journey.

• Like 3

I def. will as I have/had so many other questions that came to mind while listening to your journey Mary Beth, cheers, !

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

See you all in February!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

Feel free to ask questions in the forum in the meantime.  See you in February.

• Like 2

I'm very curious about how much I should try to lobby/understand about the electrode/mapping part of this especially after listening to you and Lawrence. Like I said after speaking with Alyssa at Med-el I'm not worried about having electrodes turned off (some were making me a little dizzy when they played around with them) -- I have my next appointment in March and I am beg. to want to know how much more mapping/tailoring is achievable? The other thing you brought up was the chip in the Sonnet and Rondo do you know if Medel would retrofit the ones I have for that new chip or would I have to wait until the next model comes out etc.Thanks again, it's really nice not feeling isolated with this--

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

Reaching a stable MAP takes some time.  It varies from person to person and even varies for the same person from ear to ear.  After reaching a stable MAP, more fine tuning to your MAP is possible.

CI users vary in their interest in learning about MAPping.  Some like to learn a lot and others prefer not to.  Both approaches are fine in my opinion.

I trusted my audiologist completely while MAPping.  She is excellent at listening to my comments and converting my comments to MAPping adjustments.  

The new chip I mentioned is in the processor (not in our internal components).  It is in the Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2.  It enables those processors to use adaptive intelligence features of ASM 3, which is not yet FDA approved in the US.  If things work the same way ASM 2 was released here it will go like this...

FDA approval

Med-El US announces an expected release date via their official Med-El US FB page

Our audiologists update our Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 processors to ASM 3 at an appointment and then we have those features too.

I will look for the link of the video discussing the new features .

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth,

Thanks again for the great chat Sunday. Please keep me informed if you hear anything new on the Rondo 3 with the fancy new chip. The regular Rondo 3 has not been approved by the Japan FDA yet, although that’s expected within the next couple of months. However, it might be worth waiting until the newer version becomes available. What do you think? Rondo 3 with old chip soon; or wait awhile for Rondo 3 with new chip? Thanks. Kirk

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

I apologize for any confusion I caused about the Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 new chip.  All Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 processors have the new chip.  This new chip can run automatic sound management (ASM 3) features like adaptive intelligence.

In the US, ASM 3 is not FDA approved at this time so in the US Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 processors still use ASM 2 (even though they have a new chip that is capable of ASM 3).

In most countries it seems like ASM 3 was active when Sonnet 2 was released in Europe (fall 2019) and Rondo 3 was released (fall 2020). User reports of the new ASM 3 features are here in HearPeers, in videos Med-El has released on FB & YouTube and in other forum groups.

I want to adjust to new processors once so instead of upgrading now to Sonnet 2 with ASM 2 and then adjusting again after ASM 3 is released here and my audiologist updates my Sonnet 2.....  I plan to wait until ASM 3 is released in the US and just adapt to my new processors once.

Make sense?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth. OK, now I AM confused. So, what you are saying is that the Rondo 3 has the new chip. That new chip is capable of using “automatic sound management” features (aka ASM 3), which include features like “adaptive intelligence.”  However, the new ASM 3 features have not been approved by the U.S. FDA, yet, which means that the Rondo 3 currently on sale in the U.S. does NOT have those features.  So you are going to wait until it does. Have I got all that right so far? ...The reason I ask is, the Rondo 3 has not been approved for sale in Japan yet (I am currently using the Rondo 2), but it is expected to get approval sometime soon. Since Japan usually follows the U.S. lead (with a one- or two-year lag time), my guess is that the Japan Rondo 3 will not have the ASM 3 features initially. As you know, I’m currently getting little benefit from my Rondo 2. Do you think it’s worth upgrading to the Rondo 3 even it doesn’t have the ASM 3 features yet? I don’t mind spending the extra money to upgrade again when the ASM 3 features become available. Please let me know what you think. Thanks! Kirk

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

Think of ASM 3 as a firmware update. When my Sonnet 1 processors using ASM 1 were updated to ASM 2, my audiologist just connected them to her computer running the Med-El fitting software to make that update.

I do not think any of the enhanced features of ASM 3 will change your present situation.  The features are mostly front end pre-processing features to help us hear better in noise.  

• HearPeers Heroes

OK, that makes sense. My Rondo 2 is already one year old, so I think it makes sense to go ahead and get the Rondo 3 as soon as it’s available in Japan. It can’t hurt.  If nothing else, the front-and-back mikes might help with hearing in noisy environments. Thanks again for the help! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Sunday February 28    (UPDATED FEB 9)

9:15 am New York time start time 

chat opens at 9:00 for socializing 

Google Meet with free live captioning

Looking forward to our February GoogleMeet chat.  

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just reply to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

So far GoogleMeet invites will be sent to:

@Mary Beth

@Jared Charney

@Joan

@Megan L.

@Mary Featherston

@Kirk S.

@Kylie

• HearPeers Heroes

@HannahMcP

Are you interested in joining in?  I realize ABI is very different than CI but we all use the same processors and accessories and are a friendly bunch.  GoogleMeet is free and has free live captions for all.   Let us know.

Okay. Assuming all goes well during recovery - this being ten days after my surgery ;) - I will be there!!!

• Like 2